About Our Team
Chairman & Chief Investment Officer
One of the few strategists who saw the coming housing implosion and derivative mess far in advance,. Ritholtz issued warnings about the market collapse and recession in time for his clients and readers to seek safe harbor.
Dow Jones Market Talk noted that “many market observers predict tops and bottoms, but few successfully get their timing right. Jeremy Grantham and Barry Ritholtz sit in the latter category…” For the prescience of his market calls in 2009, he was named Yahoo Tech Ticker’s Guest of the Year. (A summary of major market calls can be found here) His observations are unique in that they are the result of both quantitative data AND behavioral economics.
- In 2008-09, Ritholtz wrote the book Bailout Nation, (Wiley 2009); The updated paperback was published in 2010. Bailout Nation has become one of the best reviewed book on the bailouts to date.
- In 2010, he was named one of the “15 Most Important Economic Journalists” in the United States.
- Ritholtz writes a column on Investing for The Washington Post; and also contributes occasional column to Bloomberg View.
- Mr. Ritholtz is a frequent commentator on economic data and financial markets. He is a regular guest on CNBC, Bloomberg, Fox, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, MSNBC, and C/SPAN. He has appeared on numerous shows, including Nightline, ABC World News Tonight, NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams, Fast Money, Kudlow & Co, and Power Lunch, and has guest-hosted Squawk Box on numerous occasions. He appears regularly on radio for Bloomberg, NPR, CBS, and other broadcasters. His market perspectives are quoted regularly in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Barron’s, GQ, Forbes, Fortune, Smart Money, Kiplingers, and other print media.
Chief Executive Officer
Josh Brown has spent his career helping people invest and manage portfolios. His clients range from individuals to corporations, retirement plans and charitable foundations.
- Josh is the author of the book Backstage Wall Street, (McGraw-Hill, 2012).
- He is on the advisory board of Brightscope, where he hopes to help usher in a new era of transparency for the financial advisory industry.
- Josh blogs at The Reformed Broker, where he discusses markets, politics, economics, media, culture and finance using statistics, satire, anecdotes, pop culture references, sarcasm, fact, fantasy and any other device that help to get his points across and easily understood.
He will challenge your perceptions, call it like he sees it and occasionally, make you laugh.
Kris Venne, CFP®
Director of Financial Planning
Kris Venne, Certified Financial Planner, heads up our planning services, working directly with clients of the firm to ensure their invest- ments are aligned with their financial goals. He has been serving high net worth families in this capacity since the start of his career at Wells Fargo. Kris, his wife, and two children live on Long Island, NY.
Director of Research
Michael Batnick is responsible for market research, trading and account allocation. He assists Barry Ritholtz and Joshua Brown with portfolio analytics and works closely with Kris Venne on the implementation and maintenance of client investments. Michael is currently preparing for the CFA level 2 exam. In his spare time he enjoys reading and spending time with his wife and dog.
Patrick Haley, CFP®
Patrick Haley, Certified Financial Planner, has been helping clients achieve their financial goals for seven years. Prior to joining the firm, he spent seven years with Merrill Lynch and eight years as a Flight Officer for the US Navy, serving our country overseas. Patrick, his wife and two boys live in Newport, RI.
Executive Assistant and Office Manager
Erika Mauro has spent the last twenty years working with clients in the financial services industry, including seven years in an administrative role with a registered investment advisory firm. Erika handles all of the daily administrative needs of our clients. A single mother of 3, Erika believes in raising her children to be well educated and she starts this off by teaching them to be a New York Rangers fan.